Thursday 29 January 2009

1000 Points Saurus Force - Redux

Right, I put the list on LO and got some great feedback, from this I have made a few changes to the list that should make it more adaptable (and cheaper)

1000 Points

Scar-Vet: GW, LA, Mirror Shield - 121
Chief: Terradon, LA, Enchanted Shield, Staff of Lost Suns - 132

18 Saurus: Full Command, Spears - 246
17 Saurus: Full Command, Spears - 234
16 Skinks: Javelins, 2 Kroxigor - 190
11 Skinks: Blowpipes - 77

Points - 1000
Models - 66
PD - 2
DD - 2

Right lets break this down into each phase of the game:
Movement
This army is more mobile than the old one. The mixed unit can march 12" and be a useful flanking unit and be a good "hammer" unit. the skirmishers are great to bait and flee with (especially with their increased Ld) and so I am a lot less plodding.
Magic
No offensive magic, not having a 100+point T2 character with no armour on the field isn't a huge worry. Priest on EoG would be nice but I think at 1000 points thats too much points. Magic defense is a worry as if I face a DE or VC army I could be severely outmatched. The Mirror shield protects one unit from MM and hopefully the TSoD (Terradon skink of doom) can shoot/drop rocks the enemy wizards to death or at least shoot/drop rocks on the unit the wizard is in just to annoy my opponent.
Shooting
I now have some! The Chief with his BS5 should be hitting on 4+ (movement, multiple shots) and maybe 5+ if he wizard is alone (or skirmishers) but 3 S5 hits can do wonders to a unit of shades of a T3 lone sorceress. I wonder if that counts as poisonous but I have to get the new book. He also can drop rocks which auto hit and cause D3 S5 hits. That can take out a skirmish unit or fast cavalry in one turn! The Skinks add some poisoned shooting as well but I dont think that will be too much of a factor
Combat
Right, the Saurus units are now 18 strong (with general) and will be arranged 6x3. This means one unit can dish out 25 attacks, the other 27 (4 at S7) and have enough guys to take a few wounds and still dish out some pain (even if the whole front rank die they still get 12A at S4). The problem with spears is that they wont be able to use their shields so will only have 5+ saves. The mixed unit will have 6 S3 attacks and then 6 S6 ones. Hopefully this unit will swing round and get a flank charge, or could even do a bit of baiting itself (at Ld7 it should be alright). Scar-Vet isnt a combat monster but 4 S7 attacks sound pretty good.

I still have some decisions to make between
a) Dropping skirmisher + GW for Venom of Firefly Frog (magical + Poison)
b) Dropping skirmisher for musician/standard in Skink/Krox unit.
Dont know about these ones but I'll play a bit (maybe) and see what is better.

Now moneywise its a better list and this is why. I own 20 Saurus and 36 skinks, all from 5th ed. With this army I need to buy 1 box of new Saurus, 2 Krox, Tiqtaqtoe (same price as terradon rider but looks badass) and Chakax (cheaper than old blood but looks MUCH better). This shopping list comes to a total of £56.25 plus P+P (that includes army book) from www.giftsforgeeks.org.uk and I think thats pretty good for a basic army.

No comments: